Luke is a partner with a wealth of litigation and corporate experience, specialising in contentious regulatory work with a particular focus on financial institutions. Commentators say he is ‘very thorough and commercial’ and highlight him as ‘an industry leader in this space’ and ‘a very talented regulatory and dispute resolution lawyer’. In Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 Luke is rated Band 1 in financial services regulation. His experience includes acting for:
- global investment banks in relation to ASIC investigations of benchmark rates (BBSW and FX);
- Citigroup in a landmark insider-trading proceeding brought by ASIC and considered an international ‘test case’ involving the ‘Chinese wall’ defence and procedures for handling potential conflicts of interest. All of ASIC’s claims were dismissed;
- global investment banks in various Markets Disciplinary Panel proceedings;
- the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Bankwest in the ‘exception fees’ class action; and
- ASX-listed entities in relation to continuous disclosure compliance and related ASIC infringement-notice proceedings.